What can I do? Flooding on Cypress Creek
- Buy flood insurance. It doesn’t matter if you never flooded before, any house in Harris County can flood due to our topography and climate. Things change, storms get worse – buy flood insurance, it’s cheap. We have two types of flooding in Harris County: riverine and sheet flow. Which type threatens your home? Don’t know? Buy flood insurance.
- NEVER drive into high water. Subdivision streets are designed to be part of the drainage systems during high rainfall events. If you can’t see the top of the curb – TURN AROUND. If your tailpipe goes under water your engine will quit, water will enter your car and ruin your car. NEVER drive into fast moving water – it only takes 1-2′ of fast moving water to lift your car from the pavement and sweep it downstream.
- Set a flooding alert. Go to the Harris County Flood Warning System:
Learn to use this website and set an alert to warn you of potential flooding.
- Defend yourself. Evaluate your property. Will a raised garden bed keep floodwaters away from your house? Can you afford flood barriers – google ‘flood barriers’. If a standby generator is a good investment for your home today, home flood barriers may also save you tremendous expense & anxiety. Home barriers come in various sizes and prices.
- Move away from Cypress Creek. Reconcile to the fact that Cy Creek flood mitigation was ignored by government for 30 years and will take a decade, if ever, to properly mitigate flooding here. Government home buyouts may be available in your area. If not, bite the bullet and move anyhow.
Print these points out and give a copy to everyone you care about.
See more at: www.cycreekstoptheflooding.com